Writing on writing

Saturday, September 02, 2006

8774 words

So. The last four hours or so have generated a whopping 500 words. That's way not comforting.

I've got a little block going on. I'm not a big writer's block kinda person -- I think that's largely because pretty well all the major works I do are co-written with Susan. What this means is that whenever I'm stuck, or that uncertain zone just before stuck, I can talk it out with her, and between us we figure out what to do. It's a neat arrangement, and it works both ways. I know that even if I was doing a major work individually, I'd be able to come up with some comperable arrangement with her -- she's my writing buddy, and would be willing to talk through it with me. The unfourtunate thing about this situation is that she too is doing a long work within a limited time, and she doesn't have the luxory to talk me through my block. It might be better if she had regular phone service. I remember last year she talked some of it through with me, or rather I talked it through, saying things like "I wish it could have a happy ending" and then she said stuff like "give it a happy ending then moron" and I did and life was good. We're having check-in points, but no real long conversations because she has the unfourtunate malady of being stuck with her minutes-plan cell phone until her parents hook up the real live phone.

My goals for tonight (because I know that progress can only be made in these situations if one has goals) are to reach 10,000 words and to decide how this thing is going to end. I'd like to know how we get to the end, but at the very least I want these character's final destinations. It's only almost 10:30 -- I should be able to manage. Although... I am feeling the sleepies. Good thing I just made coffee. I may end up having another shower. And perhaps drinking that MONSTER energy drink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home