Writing on writing

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Tis the season

Tis the season to be a writing. A writing away I shall be, as soon as I have a space to do so in. It is a victory for this blog and for my life's work (so what if I'm not even twenty yet), that I have three weeks off.

Now that the cursary "I'm going to write" has been said, and the "I just wish" has been done, I can do a real update on the ol' novel thinger.

We've hit ANOTHER hitch in the road to publishing. Admittedly being rejected by five agents isn't a big deal, but Beth and I have always believed in nipping things at the bud. It's going to put a delay in our plans for publishing... I guess we'll just have to take the beats and hitch up our skirts, because you see... the unfortunate thing is that BOOK ONE IS REALLY REALLY BORING!

Beth put it excellently when she said "It's like that mother that one day just has to admit that her daughter just isn't that pretty." We love our baby, we love her passionately and with such a fierce ardeur that we've neglected to help her get over her less pleasent qualities.

I guess it all started when we were forced to split the book into three due to its sheer tomb like qualities. She was huge. So down to three it was! We wrote book one, and as we edited it we just kept saying, "It get's better," which it does, a lot better, it gets down right juicy political, mystical, soap operaey with just a touch of war fare juicy. It's great... in the second book. I think that's where our problem stemmed from. Beth and I just kept saying "Oh don't worry, book two is great" without thinking that to sell book two we HAD to sell book one. Book two makes no sense without book one... we tried to make it make sense and failed.

The good news is that we were able to create a really dynamic new opening for book one that would take care of the first quarter fo the book's hum drums... the bad news is that it doesn't take care of the middle of the book... you know, the important part. We really need to find a story line for book one that sells, and that gets the readers to book two which deserves to be read.

Bethany and I have a plan, so don't worry your little head oh non-existant reader of this barely maintained blogosphere niche. We plan on spending about a week FINISHING the final major edits of book one, and then doing all those book things we promised ourselves we'd do... and never do, do. Thus it's going to be writer-a-thon of a sort. I doubt that we'll actually get everything we want to accomplish accomplished, but we'll try... and christmas shop as we're trying. CHRISTMAS IS SO EFFING SOON!

OK, well that's the official update. Night night my loves.

[note] I'm finally going to read beth's 3-day, which is good because results come some time in January[/note]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home