Writing on writing

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Beth -- Going to bed

At 6686 words.

On the bright side, it is almost exactly 1000 words from when Susan told me to write 1000-1500 words before going to bed.

On the not-so-bright side, it's still a little more than 3000 words below the daily goal. They're also not words I'm especially thrilled with. The last scene I wrote was a sex scene and I hadn't been intending to go there. In fact, I was actively planning on avoiding that. But I did a sex scene. And even that I struggled with a bit. I was just getting into that when the text message exchange I talked about in my other blog took place. I was in a very much not good headspace prior to that, but then I was cheered up and was able to at least finish the scene without too much trouble.

I don't like the scene over much, but I do like that it's done. I'm going to go to bed now. I hope, before falling asleep, to come up with a bit of direction for tomorrow's writing. I might even try to put together something of an outline tomorrow morning before I start producing words. I just feel like I need to have direction and then I might stand a better chance of getting things done.

I like my characters. I like my concept. I like what I know of my plot, and only wish I had more details about it. There are enough "I like"'s in this paragraph that this piece should be going somewhere good. And yet it's been such a struggle. Hopefully over the next two days I am able to utilize the potential that I feel my premise etc is working with, and maybe I can even catch up on the word count.

Incidentally, last time I wrote this contest I went to bed after the first day approximately 3000 words ahead of schedule. This year I'm going about 3000 words behind schedule. Well. There's a nice mirror there. Considering I didn't actually win last time, maybe this apparently negative inverse will actually work in my favour?

Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home