Writing on writing

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

And it gets tougher

Feel accomplised me: I got to the part that I knew was gonna be tougher. No, not that part, not yet. Not the cut-and-paste extravaganza that Susan and I discussed on New Years.

I got the The Three. And I found myself asking "Why, oh why, do we have characters who speak in rhyme?" I am rather a stickler for poetic form. Much as I love a good free verse poem, I get all warm and tingly when there's a really good structured poem in front of me. Sonnets fascinate me -- they're frustrating, but really nifty. I love iambic pentameter, I get excited about heroic couplets.

I'm gonna go back today an re-evaluate the pages I've done of The Three. I was doing it kinda late last night, and I want to make sure they're as good as I can make them. I remember focusing mostly on rhyme (there were improper rhymes... we know how these bother me) and I'd like to take a good look at scan.

I stopped when I reached the prophecy. We've been putting it off, putting it off. I have an idea of what it's supposed to say now, so I think I'm just gonna write the freakin' thing. If Susan doesn't like it, we can talk later. For now, I'm gonna have real issues going past that page with a big orange X over what is perhaps the most crucial part of the book -- neigh, the series.

Hehehe... I'm not used to refering to this as a series, but it so is. "Book One" came from the completed manuscript of what's to become Books 1 - 3, and we'd always known there was gonna be a sequel to that. I'm guessing the whole thing will be at least five or six novels.

And yes, the prophecy is gonna be pretty important to them all. So today I'm focusing on The Three and their prophecy. My page count may be lower today, but I'm trusting the work will be harder.

Incidently, I've done about 100 pages of editing over break so far. That's significant. That was the number I'd had in mind for significant, but was afraid to say -- it felt like lots, and I didn't want to disappoint myself. So I'm going beyond significant; this excites me. I've got another 75 pages or so until I can hand this half over to Susan. I'll so be done by my deadline.

My mom's out at Bingo today and I'm home alone. This should mean good things for my productivity -- I can't exactly be accused of being antisocial. Wow... this is the longest post on this blog for a while... Well I'm off for something to eat, then I'm gonna get started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home