Writing on writing

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The scene that wouldn't end

This afternoon I was having difficulties with the Fraser scene I had in mind. I knew what I wanted to accomplish, and I even had a pretty good idea of what it was going to look like, but it just wouldn't come. I bled two pages and had to stop. I couldn't take anymore. I rested some few hours, and returned to it later. Two pages had been written, and I expected two, perhaps three more. I guess when I went back to it I'd lost whatever inhibitions were in the way. I kept thinking, "Oh this is almost done now," and then I'd remember that I hadn't mentioned this important thing, or that now would be a good time to bring up that important thing I was going to mention later. And it was all done through dialogue, so it took up lots of page space. All together it ened up a scene of seven and a bit pages. While that's not really all that much more than the five pages I'd expected, the scene did end earlier than I thought it would -- ie I got them from point A to point C, where I thought they were going to point D. These points aren't physical places by the way, it all takes place in Bome. Really, they're conversational/plot points I'm talking about.

This Fraser part is going to have more significance in probably the third book. But that significance is going to be pretty straight forward. The Taryne scene that I have in mind is going to set stuff up that's going to effect what she's up to in castle land for a large chunk of the rest of this book, so it's important that Suse and I discuss it before she starts to write. Hopefully it will give Taryne's plot some shape so she'll be more comfortable writing it. It took me a while to come up with this, it was one of those ideas that was half there for a really long time, and was getting really frustrating. After some trial ideas I've figured it out, and I'm happy with it.

I'm going to bed now. I'm going to write the Taryne scene tomorrow. Probably after Susan I discuss it, which is good. I'll be all on topic and motivated. Neat.

Ooh it's like 2am... fancy that. HAPPY BIRTHDAY WRITING PARTNER!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home