Writing on writing

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Fly me to the moon...

Okay, I've been doing research on women in space (for the sci-fi writers of the future story I've got planned) and I just want to jot some notes in here. It's handy and appropriate for the place. I realize that I'm going about this in a manner muchly different from what Susan does, but the detailed-ish plans make me feel better.

As of 2003 - 40 women have flown in space from all countries for all jobs. 36 of them were with NASA, 5 of them were with Russia/the Soviet (one flew with both which is why it actually doesn't add up to forty)

As of 1999 - 23% of astronauts were women (it worked out to like 33 active members or something) but less than 1% of the space pilots were women (only 3)... these numbers are NASA only I believe.

In the past few years there have been far more people joining NASA than there are space missions going out. The result is a bunch of potential astronauts that have not actually been in space as of yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home