Writing on writing

Monday, September 03, 2007

3-day 2007: Day 3

Last Update: 5:58pm


Seven People, a Dog, and a Child who May or May Not be God

Zokutou word meter
27,407 / 27,407
(100.0%)

5:58pm (27407 words; done)

I'm done. I did it. I ended up finishing somewhere extremely satisfying. It might seem a little cheesy, but a the end of 72-hours of intense writing, cheesy doesn't seem too bad. They made it. I'm so proud of them.

Also amazing is the fact that Susan and I finished at nearly the exact same time. Dude.

No, it's not 30,000, but that was just a rough goal anyway. I'm close enough. Who knows, maybe some paragraphs will be added tonight when I edit. I haven't really re-read any of it yet, so some kind of editing is a must. I had only about 1000 words more than this last year.

I can't believe I have to go to school tomorrow...

I finished, and I'm satisfied. Right now I'm in a kind of eurphoric place where I'm thrilled to be done, and determined that this year's novel is the best one I've done so far. I'm pretty happy with it. Sigh. Completion.

4:22pm (25399 words; 84.7%)
.
Okay. I think I'm ready to do this. Write the ending that is. I wrote a scene, and while "uplifting" isn't exactly the word I'd choose for it, it was about healing and moving on. They're ready now. My characters have learned all that they were supposed to on their little life boat. It's time for me to take them off of it.
.
2:28pm (24200 words; 80.7%)

It is still very sad. The end is in sight. They will be saved and move on, but I would really like to put in something light hearted first. That might be kind of hard, considering. If I move right into the end bits now... well for one thing it would be a little short (I suspect the end will take me about 3000 words), and for another, it would end pretty sad. I don't want that.

I stopped for macaroni and cheese. I am now very full. I think I might have a shower and try to figure out a way to evoke smiles again. There might be a Bonnie Tyler moment.

1:17pm

I'm lying in bed. I'm listening to the greatest hits of No Doubt waiting for it to get better. I've been lying there for almost an hour. I wrap the blankets tighter aroundmyself.

"Okay," I think. "It's time to start writing again." It's been nearly an hour.

So now, after my brieft but deep depression over the death of my character, I will move on. There is light. It will be okay.

12:22pm (22980 words; 76.6%):

Sigh. I did it. I killed my character. I teared up, but I didn't actually cry. I rocked back and forth for a while though. I almost couldn't do it. I kept stopping at the end of paragraph and barely bringing the strength to go on because I knew he was going to die.

At least I gave it something of a purpose. I added a deeper theme here that I had not originally meant. It gives it some more meaning. But he's dead. And now I have to figure out how to write 7000 words without him.

There are no longer seven people, a dog, and a child who may or may not be god on the boat.

I got a late start today (damn sleep) but churned out some words. Blared evanescence. Now I have to decide what to do next.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home